Below are helpful links and information about topics of general interest to our congregation. Many of them are Social Justice issues, others are more specifically issues within the United Methodist Church.
In October, 2019 our Leadership Council decided to withhold a part of our apportionments (dues to the global church) starting with September’s payment in an act of protest against the General Church’s acceptance and enforcement of the Book of Discipline’s current discriminatory language against LGBTQ+ persons. The withheld funds will be set aside in a designated church account and paid to the General Church when conditions change or used to support inclusive ministries if conditions don’t change.
- Answers to frequently asked questions about apportionments are here,
- What each appportioned fund does is expained here.
- If you are interested in the first letter to the Bishop, click here
In 2019 the General Conference of the Global United Methodist church voted to exclude people in the LGBTQ+ community from full inclusion in the United Methodist Church. FUMCB and most of the Methodist churches in the west are actively opposed to that perspective and are working toward change at General Conference 2020. Many helpful links can be found here.
- Much useful information is posted here and updated periodically.
- For a comparison of the five main plans, as of October 2019, and how they would affect us, please click here.
- The video of Western Jurisdiction Bishops declaring safe harbor for LGBTQ+ clergy is here.
- The latest from the traditional group, the Wesleyan Covenant Association's annual legislative meeting and conference is here.
- Here are some articles about the Fresh United Methodist Summit (Western Jurisdiction) which was held in November.
- Here's where you can sign up to be a Reconciling Ministries Network Individual Member (its free) and learn more about what you yourself can do to help.
- Here's a chart the summarizes the main four plans for the future of the UMC to be voted on at GC2020.
- Here's the Greater Northwest UMC page with all things GC2020 on it!!
What does it mean to be reconciling? Check out this information.
The Bible is often used as proof that being gay is wrong, but in fact, just the opposite is true.
- For ten passages in the Bible that are pro-LGBTQ+, look here.
- For a cheat sheet on all the"clobber passages" (anti LGBTQ+), click here.
- And here's the gender unicorn, to better understand gender issues and identities can be found here.